10 [VERB] V prep/adv
If you move towards a particular state, activity, or opinion, you start to be in that state, do that activity, or have that opinion.
- Since the Convention was drawn up international opinion has begun to move against it.
- [N-COUNT] His move to the left was not a sudden leap but a natural working out of ideas. (= shift)
Cf. noun 3. [PROGRESS/CHANGE] a change, especially one which improves a situation
- the country's move towards democracy
- a move away from traditional industries such as coal mining
- Much more research is being done, which is a move in the right direction .
...... COBUILD, LDOCE