1. If you intend to do something, you have decided or planned to do it.
- She intends to do A levels and go to university... ◁V to-inf
- I didn't intend coming to Germany to work... ◁V -ing
- We had always intended that the new series would be live. ◁V that
- If something is intended for a particular purpose, it has been planned to fulfil that purpose.
- If something is intended for a particular person, it has been planned to be used by that person or to affect them in some way.
- This money is intended for the development of the tourist industry... ◁be V-ed for n
- Columns are usually intended in architecture to add grandeur and status... ◁be V-ed to-inf
- Originally, Hatfield had been intended as a leisure complex. ◁be V-ed as n
- He didn't intend any sarcasm... ◁V n
- Burke's response seemed a little patronizing, though he undoubtedly hadn't intended it that way... ◁V n n (???)
- This sounds like a barrage of accusation─I don't intend it to be... ◁V n to-inf
- I think he intended it as a put-down comment. ◁V n prep
CF. Dic: intent