2018년 3월 27일 화요일

Dic: like in informal usage// "Let’s, Like, Demolish Laundry."

 

  • Let’s, Like, Demolish Laundry.
  • Our social media went crazy, like, ‘Oh my God, Washio is the best!’
  • And I'm not, like, very materialistic at all.
  • I'm thinking to myself, like, 'Wow, there's a lot of life I'm sacrificing to live in this country.'
.... Jessica Pressler, “Let’s, Like, Demolish Laundry”



─ Usage: ^like^ has many uses in informal speech, esp. in the speech of young people. It is commonly used to emphasize a word or phrase.
  • He was, like, gorgeous.
  • (chiefly Brit) He was gorgeous, like.

It is used in a way that shows you are not sure or confident about what you are saying.
  • I need to, like, borrow money.
  • Her father is, like, a scientist or something.
  • I think it costs, like, 20 dollars.

In very informal speech in U.S. English, it is used with the verb ^be^ to say what someone thinks, says, etc.
  • She was telling me what to do and I was like [= I was thinking], "Mind your own business."
  • She was like, "Are you sure you want to do this?" and I was like "Yeah, why not?" [= She said, "Are you sure you want to do this?" and I said, "Yeak, why not?"]
  • He's always criticizing everyone but it's like, "Who cares what he thinks?" [= he's always criticizing everyone but no one cares what he thinks]

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기