2017년 11월 18일 토요일

쉬운(?) 영어, 좋은 질문: If he is ______ of a gentleman, he will keep his promise.


출처: https://www.englishforums.com/English/GentlemanAnythingGentlemen/hhvzc/post.htm


※ 발췌 (excerpt):

QUESTION: Here i got a multiple choice.

If he is ______ of a gentleman, he will keep his promise.

 a. anything
 b. something
 c. nothing
 d. everything

I chose B "something of a gentleman" which I intent to understand it as "he is a gentleman to some degree." However, the Answer Book says its A, " anything of." I'm puzzled, could anyone help me?

AN ANSWER:

Given the choice between some and any, use some in assertive contexts only (affirmative statements), any for all others (negatives, questions, if clauses). You'll almost always be correct.

I have some money.
I don't have any money.
Do you have any money?
If I had any money, I would spend it.

The answer book wanted anything there because of the if.

* * *

Another Question:

Pragmatism is the opposite of navel-gazing; in pragmatism, truths are only valuable to the degree they can inform actions, and actions are only valuable if they confirm a truth. Peirce often talks about experience with the statistical term “sampling.” Only by sampling what the universe has to offer can we learn ________ of value.

(source: The Wisdom of Finance, by Mihir Desai. p. 31.)

 a. anything
 b. something
 c. nothing
 d. everything

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기