미국 대통령 연두교서: http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/sou.php
* * *
※ 발췌 (excerpt):
This Nation in the past two year has become an active partner in the world's greatest war against human slavery. We have joined with like-minded people in order to defend ourselves in a world that has been gravely threatened with gangster rule. But I do not think that any of us Americans can be content with mere survival. Sacrifices that we and our allies are making imposes us all a sacred obligation to see it that out of this war we and our children will gain something better than survival.
- The right to a useful and remunerable job in the industries or shops or farms or mines of the Nations;
- The right to earn enough to provide adequate food and clothing and recreation;
- The right of every farmer to raise and sell his product at a return which will give hime and his family a decent living;
- The right of every businessman, large and small, to trade in an atmosphere of freedom from unfair competition and domination by monopolies at home or abroad;
- The right of every family to a decent home;
- The right to adequate medical care and the opportunity to achieve and enjoy good health;
- The right to adequate protection from the economic fears of old age, sickness, accident, and unemployment;
- The right to a good education.
America's own rightful place in the world depends in large part upon how fully these and similar rights have been carried into practice for our citizens. For unless there is security here at home there cannot be lasting peace in the world.