1. [understanding people] the ability to understand other people's feelings and problems
- His comments show a lack of sensitivity.
- Interviewing victims of crime must be done with sensitivity.
- a teacher with great sensitivity
- [sensitivity to] She has always shown a sensitivity to audience needs and tastes.
If you are sensitive to other people's needs, problems, or feelings, you show understanding and awareness of them.
- The classroom teacher must be sensitive to a child's needs...
- He was always so sensitive and caring.
- The abuse of women needs to be treated seriously and sensitively.
- A good relationship involves concern and sensitivity for each other's feelings.