■ go the distance:
- [boxing] to complete a bout without being knocked out
- to be able to complete an assigned task or responsibility
■ go the distance: to continue doing something until it is successfully completed.
- The pitcher went the distance and has now won eight games in a row.
- The project would be difficult, but I agreed I would go the distance.
.... Collins, CALD, Cambridge Dictionary of American Idioms
5. (a) aesthetic distance
5. (b) capacity to observe dispassionately
— go the distance (also last the distance): to complete a course of action