LDOCE: containing many small parts or details that all work or fit together
- Having many complexly arranged elements; elaborate. (See Synonyms at elaborate)
- Solvable or comprehensible only with painstaking effort. (See Synonyms at complex )
- Difficult to understand because of intricacy (byzantine, complex, complicated, convoluted, daedal, Daedalian, elaborate, involute, involved, knotty, labyrinthine, tangled.) See SIMPLE.
- Complexly detailed (complicated, elaborate, fancy.) See PLAIN.
* * *
Synonyms: complex, complicated, intricate, involved, tangled, knotty
These adjectives mean having parts so interconnected as to make the whole perplexing.
- Complex implies a combination of many associated parts:
... The composer transformed a simple folk tune into a complex set of variations.
- Complicated stresses elaborate relationship of parts:
... The party's complicated platform confused many voters.
- Intricate refers to a pattern of intertwining parts that is difficult to follow or analyze:
... "No one could soar into a more intricate labyrinth of refined phraseology" (Anthony Trollope).
- Involved stresses confusion arising from the commingling of parts and the consequent difficulty of separating them:
... The movie's plot was criticized as being too involved.
- Tangled strongly suggests the random twisting of many parts:
... "Oh, what a tangled web we weave,/When first we practice to deceive!" (Sir Walter Scott).
- Knotty stresses intellectual complexity leading to difficulty of solution or comprehension:
... Even the professor couldn't clarify the knotty point.
....... American Heritage