8 △ used to show purpose or function
- a machine for slicing bread
- Let's go for a walk.
- Are you learning English for pleasure or for your work?
- What did you do that for (= Why did you do that)?
- The town is famous for its cathedral.
- She gave me a watch for my birthday.
- He got an award for bravery.
- I couldn't speak for laughing.
- He didn't answer for fear of hurting her.
- He came to me for advice.
- For more information, call this number.
- There were over fifty applicants for the job.