2011년 7월 14일 목요일

[Proverb] There, but for the grace of God, go I

자료 1: Wikipedia, John Bradford

(...) At some time during his imprisonment, he witnessed a group of prisoners being led to their execution and remarked, "There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford," the phrase for which he is best remembered, and which has survived in common parlance in its variant, "There, but for the grace of God, go I." (...)

자료 2: thefreedictionary.com, There but for the grace of God (go I).

Prov. I would likely have experienced or done the same bad thing if God had not been watching over me. 
(You can say this to refer to someone who has had bad luck; implies that the person is no less virtuous than you are but is now miserable purely because of bad luck, which might happen to you as well.) 
  • Jill: Ever since Julia's house burned down, she's been drinking heavily; she'll probably lose her job because of it. 
    Jane: There but for the grace of God.... 
  • Whenever Sally saw a beggar, she thought, "There but for the grace of God go I."
자료 3: The Phrase Finder, There but for the grace of God, go I.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기