2011년 7월 25일 월요일

Dic: term or terms, and on terms

term (COBUILD) 

15. PHRASE : PHR after v | If you do something on your terms, you do it under conditions that you decide because you are in a position of power.

  • They will sign the union treaty only on their terms.
12. PHRASE : PHR after v | If two people or groups compete on equal terms or on the same terms, neither of them has an advantage over the other.
  • I had at last found a sport where I could compete on equal terms with able-bodied people.
terms (OALD)

1. the conditions that people offer, demand or accept when they make an agreement, an arrangement or a contract
  • peace terms
  • Under the terms of the agreement, their funding of the project will continue until 2015.
  • They failed to agree on the terms of a settlement.
  • These are the terms and conditions of your employment.
2. conditions that you agree to when you buy, sell, or pay for something; a price or cost
  • to buy something on easy terms (= paying for it over a long period)
  • My terms are £20 a lesson.
3. a way of expressing yourself or of saying something
  • We wish to protest in the strongest possible terms (= to say we are very angry).
  • I'll try to explain in simple terms.
  • The letter was brief, and couched in very polite terms.
  • She spoke of you in glowing terms (= expressing her admiration of you).
on your own terms (on somebody's terms): according to the conditions that you or somebody else decides
  • I'll only take the job on my own terms.
  • I'm not doing it on your terms.
be on good, friendly, bad, etc. terms (with somebody)
  • to have a good, friendly, etc. relationship with somebody
  • I had no idea that you and he were on such intimate terms (= were such close friends).
  • He is still on excellent terms with his ex-wife.
  • I'm on first-name terms with my boss now (= we call each other by our first names).

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기