The Fondaco dei Tedeschi (Venetian: Fontego dei Tedeschi "The Germans' Inn") is a historic building in Venice, northern Italy, situated on the Grand Canal near the Rialto Bridge. It was the headquarters and restricted living quarters of the city's German merchants. A broad definition was taken of the term German which included what would today be regarded as separate nationalities.
First constructed in 1228, the building was rebuilt between 1505 and 1508, after its destruction in a fire. The reconstruction produced a very functional 4-floor building which surrounds a grand inner courtyard. Its architecture is typical of the cinquecento (Italian Renaissance) style, but the basic concept (and the word fondaco) is derived from a type of building in Arab countries. Like the Fondaco dei Turchi, the Fondaco dei Tedeschi was a palazzo, warehouse, and restricted living quarters for its population, in this case mainly Germanic merchants from cities such as Nuremberg, Judenburg and Augsburg. (...)
The German merchants arrived shortly after the building was originally constructed in the thirteenth century and stayed until the Napoleonic occupation. It was one of the city's most powerful colonies of merchants, and consequently the fondaco became an important trading centre for goods passing from the Orient on their way towards the Alps. The Venetian Republic took commission on the transactions of the fondaco.
The German community worshipped at a nearby church, San Bartolomeo. In the nineteenth century the leading figure of this community was the wealthy merchant Vittorio Tedeschi a nobleman himself who had ties with the Transylvanian Nobility in the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
In the 20th century the building served as the Venice headquarters of the Poste Italiane. Recently, the building was sold to the Benetton Group who asked the Dutch architekt Rem Koolhaas to plan a new shopping centre to be incorporated into the Renaissance building.
자료 2: 여행의 예술: 베네치아를 걷다_8