2018년 2월 17일 토요일

Dic:// blow out of the water


─. blow (someone or something) out of the water:

1. To totally defeat or ruin someone or something. The image refers to the explosion of a ship that has been hit by enemy fire.

  • The final score was 17-1? Wow, we really blew that team out of the water!
  • I planned to be productive today, but a sudden emergency blew that idea out of the water.
2. To thoroughly impress, overwhelm, or excite one.
  • The show of support from everyone just blew me out of the water.
  • The movie really blew me out of the water─I didn't expect it to be so good!

─. Fig. To destroy utterly someone or something, such as a plan. (Alludes to a torpedo or other weapon striking a ship and causing a great explosion that makes pieces of the ship fly out of the water.)
  • I will blow him out of the water if he shows up around here.
  • The boss blew the whole idea out of the water.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기