2017년 10월 6일 금요일

[메모] some stories about Mel Brooks' Producers


※ 발췌 (excerpts):

출처 1: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2008/aug/16/comedy.theproducers


출처 2: "Springtime for Leo Bloom," My Journey with James Joyce. Dec 2012.

The first stop on my journey with James Joyce took place long before I ever pick up a copy of Ulysses. It started with a movie.

Growing up, my favourite movie was Mel Brooks' hilarious 1968 comedy The Producers.  I adored the timid accountant, Leo Bloom, played by Gene Wilder, who was swept up in Max Bialystock's crooked scheme to get rich by producing a Broadway flop.

Little did I know that Mel Brooks "borrowed" the name "Leo Bloom" from the main character in Ulysses.  Brooks must have read and loved Ulysses prior to writing The Producers, because, as I later learned, his screenplay was chock full of references to Joyce's book.*)

When I first started reading Ulysses, I was surprised to come across the book's main character in the fourth chapter: a 38-year-old Jewish ad canvasser, with the same name as the Producer's character, Leo Bloom.

( ... ... )


출처 3: Sam Kashner. "The Making of The Producers," Vanity Fair. Jan 2004.


출처 4: Larry Sutton. "Why Gene Wilder Trusted Mel Brooks," Time. Sep 2016.

( ... ... ) "I love creating a character in a fantastical situation, like Dr. Frankenstein, like Leo Bloom, a little caterpillar who blossoms into a butterfly. I love that."


출처 5: Thorvaldur Gylfason. "Mel Brooks and the bankers," Vox. Aug 2010.


출처 6: ... ...

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기