a fix (noun):
- (a) something that solves a problem
- (b) something that has been dishonestly arranged. (cf. predicament and its synonyms)
- (c) a clear determination or understanding.
* * *
As a noun meaning (c) in the above:
- a briefing that gave us a fix on the current situation.
- It's been hard to get a steady fix on what's going on.
- He peered out, trying to get a fix on the enemy's position.
- I couldn't seem to get a fix on the situation.
△ If you get a fix on someone or something, you have a clear idea or understanding of them. (informal)
△ get a fix on sb/sth:
- to find out exactly where someone or something is.
- to understand what someone or something is really like.
... COBUILD, LDOCE, American Heritage