2015년 4월 14일 화요일

Dic: may/might (~ but) carrying a meaning of 'although'


  • I may be 50, but there's not a lot of things I've forgotten.
  • I may be slow, but at least I don't make stupid mistakes.
  • Although this may sound like a simple process great care is needed.
  • Strange as it may seem, I always felt I belonged here.
  • Leeds might be an excellent team, but today they played appallingly.
  • The school may not be as good as it was, but is still popular.
  • He may be a good father but he's a terrible husband.

* * *

You use may in statements where you are accepting the truth of a situation, but contrasting it with something that is more important.

[ALTHOUGH] used to say that even though one thing is true, something else which seems very different is also true.

might: used to introduce a statement which is very different from the statement you really want to make, in order to compare the two.

may~but: used when you agree that something is true, but you argue that this does not change the main fact that you are stating.

used when admitting that something is true before introducing another point.

.... COBUILD, LDOCE, CALD, Macmillan, OALD

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기