definitions of a word:
- (formal) a way of making something happen or making someone do something.
- a method of achieving something.
- a plan or trick that is used to get something that someone wants.
- a special way of doing something that makes it easier to do.
- a plan or trick, especially for a dishonest purpose.
- a plan or plot, esp a clever or evil one; scheme; trick
- a method which is used to produce a desired effect.
- an indirect, usually cunning means of gaining an end.
.... Macmillan, Cobuild, OALD, LDOCE, Collins, CALD, Roget's II
Some example sentences or phrases:
- We needed a ______ to get him out of the house.
- They claim that military spending is used as a ______ for managing the economy.
- The report was a ______ used to hide rather than reveal problems.
- Testing yourself with information on cards is a useful ______ for studying.
- a memory ______
- Their proposal was only a ______ to confuse the opposition.
- A trademark can be a powerful marketing ______.
- Her cool manner is just a ______ to avoid having to talk to people.
.... Macmillan, Cobuild, OALD, LDOCE, CALD
※ What is the word?
This is a question for myself whether I can retain, after some long time, what I'm reviewing now through various dictionaries. #dic #question