- above, over, or in excess: hypercritical
- (in medicine) denoting an abnormal excess: hyperacidity
- indicating that a chemical compound contains a greater than usual amount of an element: hyperoxide
1. more than usual, especially too much
- hypersensitive (= too sensitive)
- a hyper-extended knee
- a hyperlink (= from one website to another)
- I hated my father. He was hyper-critical and mean...
- He is one of those lean, hyper-fit people.
..... COLLINS, LDOCE, COBUILD
CF. ■ hyper: If someone is hyper, they are very excited and energetic. (INFORMAL)
- I was incredibly hyper. I couldn't sleep. (= hyperactive)