[Cobuild 10] If you get to do something, you eventually or gradually reach a stage at which you do it.
- No one could figure out how he got to be so wealthy.
12. [v + to inf] to reach the point at which you feel(know, are, etc.) sth.
- After a time you get to realize that these things don’t matter.
- You’ll like her once you get to know her.
- His drinking is getting to be a problem.
- She’s getting to be an old lady now.
[Cobuild 11] If you get to do something, you manage to do it or have the opportunity to do it.
- Do you get to see him often?
- They get to stay in nice hotels.
16. [v+ to inf] (informal) to have the opportunity to do sth.
- He got to try out all the new software.
- It’s not fair—I never get to go first.
..... Cobuild, OALD