- There are also indications that a major tank battle may be shaping up for tonight.
- The accident is already shaping up as a significant environmental disaster.
- It's shaping up to be a terrible winter.
- I did have a few worries about how Hugh and I would shape up as parents.
- Girls are being recruited now. I heard they are shaping up very well.
- It is no use simply to tell adolescents to shape up and do something useful.
* * *
1. If sth ^is shaping up^, it is starting to develop or seems likely to happen.
2. If you ask how sbd or sth ^is shaping up^, you want to know how well they are doing in a particular situation or activity.
3. If you tell sbd to shape up, you are telling them to start behaving in a sensible and responsible way.
CF. shape up:
1. to improve your behaviour or work: You kids had better shape up, because I'm in no mood to fool around.
2. to make progress in a particular way: Ken's plans for the business are shaping up nicely.
Immigration is shaping up as a major issue in the campaign.
It's shaping up to be a pretty big party.
.... COBUILD, LDOCE