2014년 4월 7일 월요일

Dic: make it your business to do something


  • Ruth made it her business to get to know the customers.
  • I know it doesn't concern me, but I made it my business to call city hall because someone had to.
  • Jane took it upon herself to find out exactly what had happened to the old lady. 
* * *

make it your business to do somethingto make a special effort to do something.

■ make it one's business to do something (= take it upon oneself to do something): Fig. to do something on one's own even if it means interfering in something that does not directly concern one. (As opposed to minding one's own business.)
* * *

CF. business (as a matter): a situation or activity, often one that you are giving your opinion about:
  • Arranging a trip abroad is a time-consuming business.
  • These killings are a dreadful business.
  • I make it my business (= I feel it is my particular duty) to check the monthly accounts.
  • We've got some unfinished business to discuss (= We still have something important to discuss).  
...... LDOCE, McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs, CALD

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기