- 1) overwhelming wonder, admiration, respect, or dread. 2) (archaic) power to inspire fear or reverence.
- [N-UNCOUNT] Awe is the feeling of respect and amazement that you have when you are faced with something wonderful and often rather frightening: She gazed in awe at the great stones.
- If you are in awe of someone or if you stand in awe of them, you have a lot of respect for them and are slightly afraid of them.
- be/stand in awe of sb (also hold sb in awe): to admire someone and have great respect for them and sometimes a slight fear of them: All of the neighbours were a little in awe of my mother. The villagers hold them in awe and think of them as gods.
- to inspire with reverence or dread.
- If you are awed by someone or something, they make you feel respectful and amazed, though often rather frightened: I am still awed by David's courage... The crowd listened in awed silence.
.... COLLINS, COBUILD, LDOCE
Synonyms: revere(1), worship, venerate, adore, idolize