▶ not nearly : nowhere near; not at all .... COLLINS
▶ 3 [PHRASE] PHR adj/adv, PHR n △You use not nearly to emphasize that something is not the case. (= nowhere near)
- Father's flat in Paris wasn't nearly as grand as this...
- Minerals in general are not nearly so well absorbed as other nutrients...
- British car workers did not earn nearly enough money to buy the products they were turning out.
..... COBUILD▶ not nearly: much less than; not at all
- It's not nearly as hot as last year.
- There isn't nearly enough time to get there now.
..... OALD▶ not nearly: not at all
- He's not nearly as good-looking as his brother.
- We've saved some money, but it's not nearly enough .
CF. almost, nearly