- The world champion was humbled last night in three rounds.
- Honda won fame in the 1980s as the little car company that humbled the industry giants... ◁V n
COBUILD 6. verb △If you humble someone who is more important or powerful than you, you defeat them easily.
* * *
- He was humbled by her generosity.
- a humbling experience.
- Ted's words humbled me... ◁V n
- I came away very humbled and recognizing that I, for one, am not well-informed.
- Giving up an addiction is a humbling experience.
COBUILD 7. verb △If something or someone humbles you, they make you realize that you are not as important or good as you thought you were.
* * *
CF.OALD 3. humble yourself △to show that you are not too proud to ask for something, admit that you have been wrong, etc.