2009년 6월 14일 일요일

open something up

1. Lit. to unwrap something; to open something.
  • Yes, I want to open my presents up.
  • I can't wait to open up my presents.
  • Open up this door!
2. Fig. to begin examining or discussing something.
  • Do you really want to open it up now?
  • Now is the time to open up the question of taxes.
3. Fig. to reveal the possibilities of something; to reveal an opportunity.
  • Your letter opened new possibilities up.
  • Your comments opened up a whole new train of thought.
4. Fig. to start the use of something, such as land, a building, a business, etc.
  • They opened the coastal lands up to resort development.
  • We opened up a new store last March.
5. Fig. to make a vehicle go as fast as possible. (As in opening up the throttle.)
  • We took the new car out on the highway and opened it up.
  • I've never really opened up this truck. I don't know how fast it'll go.
6. to make something less congested.
  • They opened the yard up by cutting out a lot of old shrubbery.
  • We opened up the room by taking the piano out.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기