2018년 6월 3일 일요일

Dic:// nerves, nerve


─. [N-Plural, usu poss N] If your refer to someone's nerves, you mean their ability to cope with problems such as stress, worry, and danger.

  • Jill's nerves are stretched to breaking point.
  • I can be very patient, and then I can burst if my nerves are worn out.
─. [N-Uncount] Nerve is the courage that you need in order to do something difficult or dangerous. (= courage)
  • The brandy made him choke, but it restored his nerve.
  • He never got up enough nerve to meet me.
─. [noncount] courage that allows you to do something that is dangerous, difficult, or frightening.
  • It takes a lot of nerve to start a new career.
  • He found/summoned the nerve to stand up to his boss.
  • I was going to ask her to the dance, but I lost my nerve.
─. [singular, noncount] the rude attitude of someone who says or does things that make other people angry or upset.
  • You have a lot of nerve to talk me that way.
  • I can't believe she had the nerve to call me a liar.
  • "After making the mess, he didn't even offer to help clean it up." "What (a) nerve!"
  • Has this ever happen to you? You see this really beautiful girl that you would love to approach. You try to build up your nerve but you make excuses like, "I'm scared" or "I'm too nervous." Pondering, stalling, postponing, reconsidering, these are all delaying tactics that impede action.

.....Cobuild, Merriam-Webster Learner's, and others

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기