2016년 6월 28일 화요일

Dic/ there goes something/somebody


a) used when you see someone or something going past or away from you.

  • There goes a very worried man.

b) used to say that you can here something such as a bell ring.
  • There goes the phone. I'll answer it.
  • There you go, saying such things again.

c) used when you are losing something, for ex. an opportunity or money, as a result of something that has just happened.
  • There go our chances of winning the championship.
  • There goes my career.
  • Well, there goes any hope that he'll call me again.
.... LDOCE and others

* * *

  • ... We owed about $5000 in back taxes, and I was told that unless I paid the money, our house would be auctioned off. Not a good day for me. And shortly after my visit to City Hall, the house was sold for less than a half of its value. We took an incredible loss, but who would want a house that looked like a bunch of bandits and graffiti gurus lived there. For a moment I thought, ^There goes my entire life!^ My dad, my mom, and now the very house I was raised in were gone. ^What's next?^ I would ask myself. How could I get any worse? At sixteen, I was homeless, parentless, and hopeless. ... source

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기