2013년 1월 27일 일요일

Dic: have (sbd or sth) in your sights



 _(1) have somebody in your sights: to intend to attack or defeat someone.

  • He's trying to build up his media empire and he has the owners of rival newspapers in his sights.
 _(2) have something in your sights: to be trying to achieve something, especially when you are very likely to succeed.
  • After months of training, Hilary now has the gold medal firmly in her sights.

■ have someone or something in one's sights

 _(1) Lit. to have one's gun aimed at someone or something.
  • The sniper had the soldier in his sights.
  • I had the deer in my sights. I fired.
 _(2) Fig. to consider someone or something one's goal or conquest.
  • I have a promotion in my sights and I hope to get it before the end of the year.
  • I've had Sally in my sights for years. I intend to marry her.
.... Cambridge Idioms Dictionary,
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs


■ sights as your aim/expectation
  • Rossi has the defending champion in her sights in tomorrow's race. [have sb/sth in/within]
  • After failing to get into university, he lowered his sights and got a job in a shop. [lower, raise]
  • She has her sights set on becoming a writer. [set your sights on sth; have your sights set on sth]
  • He says he wants to win the trophy, but I think he's setting his sights too high. [set your sights high/low]
.... Oxford Collocations Dictionary for Students of English

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기