1. usu with supp, oft N in n△Investment is the activity of investing money.
- He said the government must introduce tax incentives to encourage investment...
- to encourage foreign investment (OALD)
- investment income (OALD)
- [investment in something] This country needs investment in education. (OALD)
- I worry about this big investment of time and effort.
- The project has demanded considerable investment of time and effort. (N-VAR acc.to. OALD)
2. usu with supp △An investment is an amount of money that you invest, or the thing that you invest it in.
- You'll be able to earn an average rate of return of 8% on your investments.
- a minimum investment of $10000 (N-COUNT acc.to. OALD)
- a high return on my investments (N-COUNT acc.to. OALD)
- Our investments are not doing well. (N-COUNT acc.to. OALD)
- We bought the house as an investment (= to make money). (N-COUNT acc.to. OALD)
3. usu sing, usu adj N △If you describe something you buy as an investment, you mean that it will be useful, especially because it will help you to do a task more cheaply or efficiently.
- When selecting boots, fine, quality leather will be a wise investment...
- A microwave is a good investment. (OALD)
..... COBUILD, OALD