Generally two kinds of meaning:
 △to need something △to need something; to depend on someone or something
- Campbell's broken leg will probably require surgery.
- What's required is a complete reorganization of the system.
- Most house plants require regular watering.
- These pets require a lot of care and attention.
- Deciphering the code requires an expert.
- This condition requires urgent treatment.
- Do you require anything else? (= in a store, for example) ... [require something]
- A successful marriage requires us to show trust and loyalty. ... [require someone/something to do something]
- The situation required that he be present. ... [require that…]
- Lentils do not require soaking before cooking. ... [require doing something]
- You are required by law to wear a seat belt.
- [require that]Regulations require that students attend at least 90% of the lectures.
- The bill failed to get the required number of votes. ... [be required to do sth]
- The wearing of seat belts is required by law.
- “Hamlet” is required reading (= must be read) for this course.
- Several students failed to reach the required standard.
- I just require a signature on the form. ... [require something]
- What exactly is required of a receptionist (= what are they expected to do)? ... [require something of someone]
- All candidates will be required to take a short test. ... [require someone to do something]
- We require that you comply with the following rules:… ... [require that…]
..... LDOCE, OALD