7) the final settlement, esp in retribution: the payoff came when the gang besieged the squealer's house
8) informal. the climax, consequence, or outcome of events, a story, etc., esp when unexpected or improbable
9) the final payment of a debt, salary, etc
10) the time of such a payment
11) informal. a bribe
▷ payoff (also pay-off)
1 [N-COUNT] oft N from n △The payoff from an action is the advantage or benefit that you get from it.
- If such materials became generally available to the optics industry the payoffs from such a breakthrough would be enormous...
- Soldiers in both countries supplement their incomes with payoffs from drugs exporters.
- The ousted chairman received a £1.5 million payoff from the loss-making oil company.