■ 4[ADJ] v-link ADJ, usu ADJ to-inf, ADJ in -ing △If someone is slow to do something, they do it after a delay.(≠ quick)
- The world community has been slow to respond to the crisis...
■ [with delay] hesitating to do something or not doing something immediately.
- <slow to do something> She wasn't slow to realize what was going on.
- <slow in doing something> His poetry was slow in achieving recognition.
- <slow doing something> They were very slow paying me.
■ [TAKING TOO LONG] △taking too long (≠ fast)
- Taylor was concerned at the slow progress of the investigations.
- The legal system can be painfully slow (=much too slow) .
- <slow to do sth> The wound was slow to heal.
■ [WITH DELAY] [not before noun] △if you are slow to do something, you do not do it as soon as you can or should.
<slow to do sth>
- Farmers have been slow to exploit this market.
- Their attitude was slow to change.
- He has been slow in announcing the name of his successor.
- New ideas have been slow in coming.
..... COBUILD, OALD, LDOCE