give particular quality▷ 7. [transitive, usually passive] (formal)
to give someone or something a particular quality or character (= characterize)
- [mark someone/something] a life marked by suffering
- [mark someone/something as something] He was marked as an enemy of the poor.
※ It's difficult to find such a definition of mark as a verb in COBUILD.
9 [N-COUNT] N of n/-ing △ The mark of something is the characteristic feature that enables you to recognize it. (= sign)
- The mark of a civilized society is that it looks after its weakest members.
※ Let's take hold of some of its generic meanings:
1. a small area of dirt, a spot, or a cut on a surface that spoils its appearance.
2. a noticeable spot or area of color on the body of a person or an animal that helps you to recognize them.
- The kids left dirty marks all over the kitchen floor.
- a burn/scratch mark
- Detectives found no marks on the body.
- a horse with a white mark on its head
- He was about six feet tall, with no distinguishing marks.