2010년 11월 22일 월요일

Dic: over someone's head

[PHRASE] v-link PHR, PHR after v | If something such as an idea, joke, or comment goes over someone's head, it is too difficult for them to understand.  (*Typically: be ~; go ~; pass ~.)

  • I admit that a lot of the ideas went way over my head. 
  • All that talk about computers went over my head. 
  • I hope my lecture didn't go over the students'heads.

[PHRASE] v-link PHR, PHR after v | If someone does something over another person's head, they do it without asking them or discussing it with them, especially when they should do so because the other person is in a position of authority. | to an authority higher than someone.
  • He was reprimanded for trying to go over the heads of senior officers.
  • I don't want to have to go over your head, but I will if necessary. 
  • I had to go over Fran to get it done. 
  • My boss wouldn't listen to my complaint, so I went above her.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기