2009년 5월 3일 일요일

make good on (also make good)

29. PHRASE : V inflects, PHR n, PHR on n
If someone makes good a threat or promise or makes good on it, they do what they have threatened or promised to do.[mainly AM]      
  • Certain that he was going to make good his threat to kill her, she lunged for the gun.    
  • He was confident the allies would make good on their pledges.
Cf: 28. PHRASE : V inflects, PHR n
If you make good some damage, a loss, or a debt, you try to repair the damage, replace what has been lost, or repay the debt.     
  • It may cost several billion roubles to make good the damage.     
  • = put right   
... Cobuild
***
make good on something:

(McGraw-Hill)
1. to fulfill a promise
  • Tom made good on his pledge to donate $1,000
  • Bill refused to make good on his promise.
2. to repay a debt. (See also set something right.) 
  • I couldn't make good on my debts, and I got in a lot of trouble
  • If you don't make good on this bill, I'll have to take back your car.
(Cambridge Idioms)
to give back money that you owe someone, or to keep a promise to do something 
  • I want to make good on that loan I got from Joan
  • Tom made good on his promise to paint the living room.
(Cambridge American Idioms)
to do what you have said you would do 
  • I told them they would have a great time, and I want to make good on my promise
  • My dad made good on his threat to cut off our Internet service.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기